Monday, December 27, 2010

Eating healthy


Since coming home to Redding, it has been a struggle to eat a healthy diet. In Korea, it was easy. I had a landlady who had vegetables and fruits for her boarders and passed them out to everyone and I went out often to Home Plus where I drank coffee and ate healthy even in fast food restaurants. Here, it is not so easy.

I ate food I should not have eaten. I ate chips and that is not good. I drank coffee with milk and that is not so bad. I felt bad. My body was not functioning as well as it should. I went into the kitchen and got out the crock pot that got absorbed by my son's family and asked if I could borrow it for the rest of the week. They said it was fine since they are eating their favorite holiday food, pizza. The first thing I ate was Southwest Chili and it was not only healthy but so easy to make.

It had 2 cans of black beans, 2 cans of chili beans, 1 can of corn, one can of chopped tomatoes, one green pepper, one large onion and browned ground turkey and chili powder. Put the everything in a crock pot and turn it on for four hours on high or six hours on low. I got all of the canned stuff organic on sale and even bought the onion and green pepper organic. It was absolutely delicious and cheap to make. I put a little garlic in it. My body said thank you in the only way a body does, it felt satisfied.

I am also back at work here in my room. I am keeping my own hours and I finally know how to operate my new computer and can sit in bed with the lap top while the small heater warms up my room. The sound system even sounds great. I have been listening to music from this laptop while in Korea. I am going to buy some speakers from my grandson whenever he remembers to bring them over.

It is amazing when one is in control of one's life how enjoyable it can be. Controlling what one puts in the stomach is great and it makes the body feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment