Sunday, December 5, 2010

Nightmare


I was getting off the bus here in Korea at the International Airport and was getting ready to call the hotel where I will be staying in the night before my flight, and I noticed that my laptop that is supposed to be hanging off my shoulder is not there. I look back at the bus I was on and it is pulling away. I start to yell but it is too late. "My book is in that computer", I say to myself.

Then I start to think when I last had the notebook computer. I wonder if I left it in my apartment in Daejeon. Then I start to think that I have not done my final packing yet. I breathed a sigh of relief. This is a bad dream. Then I wake up. I look around and I am in my Daejeon apartment.

I am getting nervous. I would not be so nervous except I am in a country where I don't speak the language. That makes me nervous. The most important possession that I have is this notebook computer because it has the book that I have been working on. I remember the story how Ernest Hemingway left the only copy of a book he wrote in a taxi cab and never saw it again. Well, those things happen.

A friend came by yesterday and I gave her the books that I am not taking with me. I also gave her my printer. I wanted those two items to find a good home and they did. I think having them gone from my apartment created the nightmare that I had last night. I also gave her my umbrellas that I used to cross the street to the university. I still have one that I carry around in my book bag.

It is getting close to when I leave, and I am getting nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment