Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lamps


When I was in Korea, I had a hard time finding lamps. Even in the library, they were rare. Koreans, it seems, depends mostly on overhead lighting which is hard on my eyes since I am very sensitive to glare. Then when I got back to my home here in Redding, I discovered that in my absence someone took it upon themselves to get rid of the lamps I had in my house. Needless to say, that person is not being invited back.

I need indirect lighting to read. I don't watch all that much television and still need some lighting when I am working on the computer. I read quite a bit and listen to music while I do which needs no lighting at all except to adjust the kind of music I want to listen to. I now listen to music off the Internet all of the time. I pay a small subscription cost for several websites so I can get the kind of music that I want. I consider that a huge advance for humankind since I am a big fan of classical music and other similar music such as new age and ambient. I like my music experience to compliment my reading not interfere with it. I don't want to hear any advertisements.

I went to a few second-hand stores and purchased some lamps and now have the normal amount so that I don't have to depend on over-head lighting. It is wonderful. I pull the blinds up in the morning as well so I can watch the sun slowly light up the sky since I get up early in the morning. I don't live alone and am the only one who gets up so early which is also delightful. This morning I am happy to see the warm and unobtrusive lighting of my new lamps as well as the blue skies and the trees that surround my view just outside my window. Ah, this is the life here in the Northern California. I had missed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment