Saturday, January 15, 2011

Staying Healthy, Getting Healthier


Staying healthy and getting healthier means living in my own skin. I hear this often from the things I read and from other people. It needs to be repeated to me often because I find myself outside of myself paying a lot of attention to other people's concerns and problems instead of my own. It means that it is a lot easier being a busy body than paying attention to matters at hand. We all do it, and I am no exception. So, I am going to repeat it here.

I read articles all of the time about getting more readers for my blogs and Tweets. As one can tell, I don't pay a lot of attention to it. What I do pay attention to is I am forever getting involved in other people's problems when I have plenty of my own. That does not mean I can't care what is happening around me. I can care that scientists are putting the wrong kind of bands around the flippers of penguins so that they are having trouble swimming or that people with mental problems are getting their hands on assault rifles and shooting people. I care and want to do something to limit the damage that is being done to the environment and to my fellow human beings. There are things I can do to limit those things and still pay attention to my own problems.

I can stop feeling sorry when my family doesn't do things for me that I think they should. I can do them for myself. I raised my sons to be independent. They are in their middle ages now. They can take care of themselves. If I don't have anything to do, I can find my own way in the world. I have been doing that for many years. Some of the reasons that the younger generations don't care for the older ones is that we want to hang on to them. We need to let go. Of course, many of us can't do everything we used to do. We need help ever so often. It is right and good for us to ask for help when we do; but like old soldiers we do need to fade away when the time is right. I am not ready to fade. I still have things to do and don't need help doing them. They don't need help doing their stuff either.

No comments:

Post a Comment